Short Communication

Canine renal cortical necrosis and haemorrhage following ingestion of an Amitraz-formulated insecticide dip : clinical communication

P.A. Oglesby, K.E. Joubert, T. Meiring
Journal of the South African Veterinary Association | Vol 77, No 3 | a366 | DOI: | © 2006 P.A. Oglesby, K.E. Joubert, T. Meiring | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 08 June 2006 | Published: 08 June 2006

About the author(s)

P.A. Oglesby,
K.E. Joubert,
T. Meiring,

Full Text:

PDF (157KB)

Share this article

Bookmark and Share


Amitraz is a formamidine compound used in veterinary medicine as a topical dip to control ticks and mites on dogs and livestock. A 10-year-old female Scottish terrier was presented following the accidental oral administration of a dip containing amitraz. This case report describes the clinical signs, treatment and pathology of this dog. Clinical signs of toxicity from amitraz result from stimulation of alpha2-adrenergic receptors. Amitraz is seldom fatal because the effects can be reversed by alpha2-adrenergic antagonists. The dog recovered from the amitraz toxicity but died 5 days later from acute renal failure.


Amitraz; Acute Renal Failure; Acute Renal Haemorrhage And Necrosis; Dog


Total abstract views: 2067
Total article views: 4726

Crossref Citations

No related citations found.