Short Communication

Canine renal cortical necrosis and haemorrhage following ingestion of an Amitraz-formulated insecticide dip : clinical communication

P.A. Oglesby, K.E. Joubert, T. Meiring
Journal of the South African Veterinary Association | Vol 77, No 3 | a366 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/jsava.v77i3.366 | © 2006 P.A. Oglesby, K.E. Joubert, T. Meiring | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 08 June 2006 | Published: 08 June 2006

About the author(s)

P.A. Oglesby,
K.E. Joubert,
T. Meiring,

Full Text:

PDF (157KB)

Share this article

Bookmark and Share

Abstract

Amitraz is a formamidine compound used in veterinary medicine as a topical dip to control ticks and mites on dogs and livestock. A 10-year-old female Scottish terrier was presented following the accidental oral administration of a dip containing amitraz. This case report describes the clinical signs, treatment and pathology of this dog. Clinical signs of toxicity from amitraz result from stimulation of alpha2-adrenergic receptors. Amitraz is seldom fatal because the effects can be reversed by alpha2-adrenergic antagonists. The dog recovered from the amitraz toxicity but died 5 days later from acute renal failure.

Keywords

Amitraz; Acute Renal Failure; Acute Renal Haemorrhage And Necrosis; Dog

Metrics

Total abstract views: 2047
Total article views: 4716

 

Crossref Citations

1. Molecular Mechanisms of Amitraz Mammalian Toxicity: A Comprehensive Review of Existing Data
Javier del Pino, Paula Viviana Moyano-Cires, Maria Jose Anadon, María Jesús Díaz, Margarita Lobo, Miguel Andrés Capo, María Teresa Frejo
Chemical Research in Toxicology  vol: 28  issue: 6  first page: 1073  year: 2015  
doi: 10.1021/tx500534x