Original Research

The prevalence of ovine herpesvirus-2 in 4 sheep breeds from different regions in South Africa

C.W. Bremer
Journal of the South African Veterinary Association | Vol 81, No 2 | a112 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/jsava.v81i2.112 | © 2010 C.W. Bremer | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 07 May 2010 | Published: 08 May 2010

About the author(s)

C.W. Bremer,

Full Text:

PDF (257KB)

Share this article

Bookmark and Share


About 90% of bovine malignant catarrhal fever (BMCF) PCR-positive cases in South Africa are caused by alcelaphine herpesvirus-1 (AlHV-1) and the other 10 % by ovine herpesvirus-2 (OvHV-2). The prevalence of OvHV-2 in different sheep breeds in South Africa was determined in order to investigate whether the lower incidence of BMCF caused by OvHV-2 in comparison with AlHV-1 can be ascribed to a low incidence of the virus in sheep. A single-tube hemi-nested PCR was developed, evaluated and applied to detect OvHV-2 DNA. The prevalence of the virus in 4 sheep breeds from various regions in South Africa was shown to be 77 %. No statistically significant difference was found amongst the sheep breeds tested.


No related keywords in the metadata.


Total abstract views: 2653
Total article views: 2634

Crossref Citations

No related citations found.