Case Report

Suspected poisoning of puppies by the mushroom Amanita pantherina : case report

T.W. Naudé, W.L. Berry
Journal of the South African Veterinary Association | Vol 68, No 4 | a900 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/jsava.v68i4.900 | © 1997 T.W. Naudé, W.L. Berry | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 13 July 1997 | Published: 13 July 1997

About the author(s)

T.W. Naudé,
W.L. Berry,

Full Text:

PDF (696KB)

Share this article

Bookmark and Share

Abstract

Amanita pantherina poisoning is suspected as the cause of a severe, transient neurological disorder in three 5-week-old German shepherd puppies. There was very strong circumstantial evidence that this mushroom had been eaten, and the signs encountered were similar to those described in confirmed field cases of intoxication in dogs. It was also in many respects consistent with the syndrome seen in humans. A veterinary perspective on the hallucinogenic Amanita spp. is given and the veterinary literature on mushroom intoxication is briefly reviewed as, in contrast to humans, it is not often reported in animals. This is the 1st report of suspected mushroom intoxication of animals in South Africa.

Keywords

Amanita Pantherina; Canine; Coma; Hallucinogenic Mushroom; Ibotenic Acid; Intoxication; Muscimol

Metrics

Total abstract views: 2589
Total article views: 4109

 

Crossref Citations

1. Clinical recovery of 5 dogs from amatoxin mushroom poisoning using an adapted Santa Cruz protocol for people
Ryan C. Goupil, Megan Davis, Abigail Kaufman, Diane Roberts, Todd Mitchell
Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care  vol: 31  issue: 3  first page: 414  year: 2021  
doi: 10.1111/vec.13040